Tuesday, February 22, 2011

The post I haven't been wanting to write..

Last time I wrote, I talked about how we were going in to get more testing done on the lump/mass in Arianna's neck.  We had an ultrasound done on that Wednesday, and the next day our Pediatrician called with the news that the lump was growing, it showed growth since her last ultrasound done in July.  They also discovered that the lump is very vascular.  There are veins running through it and feeding it.  Our pedi told us she wanted blood work done immediately.  She sounded concerned.  Our minds immediately started thinking cancer, tumor, etc.  It was pretty scary.  I couldn't wait to get the bloodwork done so that we had some answers. 

Our pediatrician called that night and ratteled off the results.  Everything was pretty normal.  Calcium and white blood cell counts were elevated, but nothing alarming or that she was concerned about.  The next thing I said was, "does this mean we can rule out cancer?".  She said no.  She told us that she sent the Arianna's ultrasounds to the pediatric surgeon at DeVoss Children's Museum in Grand Rapids, to look over the ultrasounds to determine what the next step should be, which sounded like it would be something along the lines of a CT scan, MRI or biopsy.  We didn't get much sleep which we waited for that phone call, and unfortunately, they took their sweet time getting back to us.  This conversation took place on a Thursday and we didn't hear back until the next Wednesday(the 16th) .  The answer: The surgeon now wanted a vascular surgeon to look at the ultrasounds and they would get back to us by Friday (the 18th).  Well, now it's Tuesday the 22nd and we still haven't heard ANYTHING. 

The same day that we got that vague answer from DeVoss, we talked to our pedicatrician about how we have family in Chicago and not anywhere in downstate Michigan.  Long story short, we got the balling rolling with Children's Memorial Hospital in Chicago and have an appointment there next Monday.  This of course wasn't easy and involved many phone calls and test results being faxed, calls to Blue Cross about covering out of network and out of state hospital bills, etc.  It has been stressful and crazy.  I am just glad that we have an appointment..and we will finally have some answers in hopefully a week.  I have been trying to mentally prepare myself to hear that Ari will have to have surgery.  I will keep you guys updated and promise I won't take so long next time. 

In other news, we had our first OB appointment last Wednesday as well.  I wasn't lying when I said things have been crazy busy, haha.  Our baby looked strong and healthy and my duedate was moved closer, to August 28th!! That is our one year anniversary :)  This also means that I will be 14 weeks pregnant this week and in about 4 weeks, we will find out if we are having a boy or girl!!

Sorry there are no pictures! Next time!

2 comments:

Desi said...

oh gosh krysta, I would be so frustrated also. I hope everything gets going and you can find out whats going on. I am praying for ari and for you and Jeremy of course. You'll get through this.

Krysta said...

Thanks Desi. It's much appreciated.