Saturday, December 8, 2012

Half Marathon #2


Schaumburg Turkey Trot Half Marathon

The Saturday after  Thanksgiving, I ran in my second half marathon.  I had signed up with my Aunt Dina, who is an avid runner and has done TONS of full and half marathons, including Boston and Chicago.  I was a little intimidated to run with her, but we had done a few practice runs together and all went well.  Comparing this race to my first half marathon, I was definitely more prepared the first time around.  I trained my butt off for that one that was in September, my first one ever, mostly because I was scared I was going to fail!  That race went very well and I finished with a time of 2:05.

My goal for half marathon number two was to finish in under two hours.  This was a lofty goal; shaving five minutes off of my time, when I really didn’t train much at all.  I figured that running with Dina would keep me in check though!

The week leading up to race day was unseasonable warm.  In the high 60’s to be exact.  This is considered exceptionally warm for late November in the Chicagoland area!  Anyways, the day of the race was supposed to get to a HIGH of 30.  Really?? 30? It was freezing while we were waiting for the race to start and freezing the first few miles.  I remember making the comment to Dina that at mile 3, I was finally able to feel my toes.  Up until that point, it had felt like I was running on rocks.  Awful.  We kept a great pace the entire race, under 9:30 and then the last 3 miles we ran at about an 8:45 pace.  Super fast for me.  I never really run that fast, haha!  We finished at 2:01.  Not less than two hours, but I am still very pleased.  I am pretty sure I will keep signing up for more halves in the future and I am debating signing up for a full marathon in 2013! Here are some pictures!

 




No comments: