Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Lucky

Let me tell you a little story about how my day began. I was driving on M-28 to work. The snow was pretty light and I was right near Lake Superior. On this section of the highway, there is usually no snow on the road because of the strong wind right off of the lake. I was going the speed limit (55) and all of a sudden my car started swerving. I tried to correct it and at this point I was swerving all over the road. Then I started spinning, I could see cars coming and I had no control over my car. At one point during the spinning, I saw a semi heading right toward me. I can honestly say it was the most scared I have ever been in my life. I pretty much thought 'this is it'. There was no way that semi-wasn't going to hit me while I was spinning all over the road. I started to think of Arianna and before I knew it I had flown off the road, really far, almost to the tree line. Thank God I didn't hit any of the huge trees. I am not really sure how I didn't get hit by any of those cars or the semi. I am so lucky to have not caused any other accidents, or had damage to my car. I have never ever felt that feeling before though, of feeling like I was 'this close' to having my life be over. My head flew forward but luckily didn't hit the steering wheel and everything else in my car flew forward as well. I panicked for a minute because I couldn't find my phone in the mess of stuff that was all over my front seats and floor. I couldn't get out of the car because the snow was so deep, but luckily I was in a spot that had cell phone reception, so I was able to call the police. It took them a while to get there and in that time there were two different vehicles that stopped to see if I was ok. The police officer said that the section of the road I was on was covered in black ice and that there wasn't much I could have done to prevent what happened. The tow truck was slipping all over the road too. I paid him and thanked them both and was on my way. I was only about 1/4 of the way to work at this point, so I had a long drive ahead of me. What a horrible way to start my morning. I will end this by saying I am so thankful that nothing worse happened..and I am also thankful for the two people who came to see if I was alright and spent their time comforting and consoling me. I was a MESS.


1 comment:

Francis said...

Wow! thats scary, Im glad you are ok!